[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.3 PythonLauncher

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu Jul 24 00:01:29 EDT 2003

On woensdag, jul 23, 2003, at 20:02 Europe/Amsterdam, Kevin Altis wrote:

> I did a fresh install on a new box and it looks like PythonLauncher is
> set
> to use /usr/local/bin/pythonw for .py and .pyw files by default which
> is
> good. However, it is also set to launch scripts in a Terminal window
> which
> doesn't seem to make much sense to me. If you are a programmer and
> need to
> see debug output it will be in the Console or you can just run from the
> Terminal and avoid PythonLauncher.

This is the result of a discussion here a couple of months ago. The
outcome of
that was that if your script is "production-ready" you should turn it
into
an applet. When you're running a windowing script by double-clicking
you are
probably still in the debugging phase. This sounded plausible enough to
me
that I changed the default for .pyw to also open a console window.

> I'm assuming PythonLauncher still needs to be used from the Finder
> because
> otherwise there is no way to get multiple Python scripts running?

Correct. (Unless you run them from the terminal window, of course).

> I don't have Panther so another thing I'm wondering about is whether
> python
> will be put in /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin in which case the default
> path for
> PythonLauncher might need to be changed.

Good point! I will check this straightaway and pass it on to the people
at Apple
if it isn't.
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>