[Pythonmac-SIG] For your eyes only: new 2.3rc1+ installer

Chris Lee cjl at physics.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jul 24 11:50:52 EDT 2003

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 10:02  AM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On woensdag, jul 23, 2003, at 23:00 Europe/Amsterdam, Chris Lee wrote:
>
>> You probably already know this but the package manager doesn't manage
>> to get through firewalls.
>
> No, I didn't know this! Code was added before 2.3b1 to make it go
> through firewalls (basically using urllib2 in stead of urllib, which
> should be firewall-aware. This definitely needs to be fixed, or at the
> very least warned about.
>
> What are the symptoms you see?

The error message is "Cannot open
http://www.python.org/packman/version-0.3/darwin-6.6-
Power_Macintosh.plist: <urlopen error (60, 'Operation times out')>"

It appears that the help page turns up now so that is good.  The fire
wall is one that requires authentications and for what it is worth I
have never managed to fink to work with it either (this doesn't mean a
lot though since I am not really a power user and could quite easily be
getting things wrong).

> And, for the rest of the crowd here: is anyone having success using PM
> behind a firewall? Was there anything special you needed to do?
>
>>   Also in my install the help pages come up blank.
>
> This also is news to me. There is one thing you need to do (which is
> obscurely mentioned in the installer welcome message): you need to
> start the IDE once so it can register the help book.

That fixed it.  Teach me for skim reading won't it

> Does the "MacPython Help" show up in your Help Viewer bookshelf?
Does now :)

> --
> - Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>
> http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
> - If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution -- Emma
> Goldman -

Chris Lee
Physics Department
Otago University