[Pythonmac-SIG] For your eyes only: new 2.3rc1+ installer

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jul 24 03:07:59 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 17:55, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Note that 2 and 3 are real options, as the binary installer could be
> considered not to be in the critical path for the 2.3 source
> distribution, which is the one that absolutely has to be done before
> August 1. The downside of fixing things in the binary installer after
> the 2.3 source distribution goes out is that it means that it is
> impossible to create an identical binary distribution given only a
> source distribution. But I think this is already the case for the
> Windows binary distribution too, and it's definitely true for the
> MacPython-OS9 binary distribution. And the only reason I can think of
> why other people would dream of doing a binary distribution would be
> that I get hit by a tram, in which case this will be the least of my
> worries:-)

It's probably inevitable that extra software will be needed to build
binary distros for some platforms.  Even if that's so, I'd really like
for the procedure (as well as external s/w requirements, version #'s
etc) to be documented for our kids when they're building Python for
their "classic MacOSX" boxes 20 years from now. :)

-Barry