[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.3rc2-3 in Panther

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jul 25 17:44:59 EDT 2003

On Friday, Jul 25, 2003, at 15:36 America/New_York, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On vrijdag, jul 25, 2003, at 19:15 Europe/Amsterdam, Bob Ippolito
> wrote:
>> Technically, that means PackageManager is working.. it just means
>> Jack is too busy to make Panther packages for things.  :)  It is
>> highly likely that many of the binary packages for 10.2.6 will work
>> just fine on Panther as-is -- especially the source ones, which
>> should almost definitely work.  I have heard that the binary PyObjC
>> does not work on Panther, but I do know from experience that
>> Wednesday's CVS snapshot of PyObjC compiles and works as expected on
>> Panther.
>>
>> If I can find the time this weekend, I will see about making the
>> packages (at least binary ones) for Panther DP and posting them to
>> undefined.
>
> What would be very helpful to me is if someone with the time would
> open the PM database for 10.2, and see which of the packages work
> as-is. Then me starting on the Panther database will be speeded up, as
> I can just start with the relevant portions of the 10.2 database.

IIRC, PyObjC did not work, but the rest did.  I'm not sure if I tried
source or binary, though.  I'll try again tonight when I install rc2 on
my panther laptop.  All the packages in my repository work both with
10.2.6 and Panther as far as I can tell.  You should inherit the binary
PIL that I compiled, or compile your own with a static libjpeg..
because I am definitely not going to install Fink, and I'm sure there
are other MacPython users without Fink for whatever reason.

One bug that I have noticed is that I don't have _tkinter.so anywhere,
even though I had Tcl and Tk installed when I installed rc2.  It's
detected in Package Manager.  Perhaps you should separate a _tkinter
from the main python distribution and put it in Package Manager in
src/binary format?  Would you like some help doing that?  It seems
rather straightforward, I've gotten _Qt.so and readline to compile
rather easily with distutils, I can't imagine _tkinter being all that
much harder.