[Pythonmac-SIG] First stab at new MacPython website

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jul 25 18:34:07 EDT 2003

On Friday, Jul 25, 2003, at 16:57 America/New_York, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Folks,
> I've created a first stab of the new MacPython website. Please have a
> look at it,
> and send comments to the mailing list so we can discuss them. You can
> find it at
> <http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/newmacpython>.
>
> I think I have all the information from the old web page covered, and
> all the new stuff
> that is essential. But I would like comments on everything (and, don't
> worry,
> you'll be hard-pressed to hurt my ego, so fire away:-), including:
>
> - Organisation

Is it necessary to have a side bar and a top bar?  There doesn't seem
to be enough sections to justify this.  Also, the top bar is GIGANTIC
due to the alignment with the really big and ugly icon.  It's time to
get rid of the paperweight and get a sexy icon.  I'll talk to some of
my friends and see if I can con one of them into making a new logo.  I
don't think anyone understands what the 16 ton icon means (anymore?),
and it obviously wasn't designed to be displayed at that size.

> - graphic design, fonts, colors, etc

The "Special topics" section should behave like the top navigation..
meaning, if you're at a particular section, it should remain in the
navigation but no longer as an anchor tag.
In Safari 1.0, there does not appear to be a right margin on the page.
"MacPython is the port "... should probably be stated as "MacPython is
the official port..."
Exits doesn't seem terribly useful, especially cause it's not
consistently there and generally just points to python.org.. Also
Community is terse enough to be part of Home, especially since the
c.l.py newsgroup and mailing list is mentioned there where the
Pythonmac-SIG is more likely to be relevant to a MacPython user.

> - errors, dead links, links going to the wrong place

http://python.sourceforge.net/ (Developers section)  is deprecated, and
should be http://www.python.org/dev/

MacPython Documentation should point to http://www.python.org/doc/
(Documentation) .. perhaps even more specific sections such as
http://www.python.org/doc/current/mac/mac.html

> - missing information

Package Manager!