[Pythonmac-SIG] logo

Bugbee, Larry larry.bugbee at boeing.com
Sat Jul 26 16:38:33 EDT 2003

My reason for hoping for a 'better' icon is simply because a number of folks don't like spiders or snakes or anything creepy or crawly.

Python is a work of art.  The Mac is a work of art.  Put the two together and you have a dynamite combination.  ...but for the icon.  It does turn some folks off.

The covers of books are not immune either.  I've seen one person not buy Lutz's book after the comment "ugh. ...a snake."  Not rational?  Definitely, but it goes to first impressions.

Yes, there is now some history with the snake.  Yes, a lot of people are not bothered, and in fact, a number even seek out the dark and creepy stuff.  ...but that is not what Python and the Mac are all about.  It is supposed to be pleasant experience.

OK, now that I have ranted...  what should the icon be?  I'll be honest, I don't know.  I was hoping those of you that are more creative and have a feel for graphic arts would be able to suggest something.

I don't want to be a bad guy, but I get the impression this should be fixed.

Thanks for listening,

Larry