[Pythonmac-SIG] Icon

Glenn Andreas gandreas at delver.com
Mon Jul 28 12:23:53 EDT 2003

At 8:37 AM -0400 7/28/03, Chris wrote:
>Hi All
>
>May I suggest that you have a contest for an icon and see
>what you get.

This sounds like a good idea - obviously coming up with a good icon
is tough, especially one that follows the whole Aqua theme.

My photo-based icon obviously needs some work to get to that level
(since the "illustration" style is amost, but not quite, photo
realistic, most noticably, the lighting is _much_ more diffused, the
image is simplified if possible, and the number of distinct colors is
reduced (with tint and other variations of those colors being used
instead)).

However, I definitely do not think it should include an apple logo,
or specific apple equipment, etc...  since that will make the thing
seem  cheezy and amateur (quick - look at your OS X Applications
folder - how many have an apple logo in them?  Pretty much none).
After all, we already know that the thing is to be used on a mac
(since that is where you'll find it).  Using it on the website is
different, since that would be viewed from multiple platforms (so
having some image that can be used as "identity brand" that can be
incorporated with other elements is proably a useful goal).

At 9:50 PM -0500 7/27/03, Andrew Hartung wrote:

>On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 05:38  PM, Bugbee, Larry wrote:
>
>>My reason for hoping for a 'better' icon is simply because a number
>>of folks don't like spiders or snakes or anything creepy or crawly.
>>

>Hey now, that's getting personal. I don't find any of my seven
>snakes 'creepy'. :)

I'm actually quite surprised at the amount of negative reaction to
the whole "realistic snake" concept.  It's just a little 1 1/2"
square image - it's not like it is a giant background picture close
up or anything.  After all, I find swans to be creepy, but I wouldn't
be upset with a swan image the size of an icon - but hey, that's just
me.

Glenn Andreas                      gandreas at delver.com
Author of Macintosh games: Theldrow 2.3, Blobbo 1.0.2, Cythera 1.0.2
Be good, and you will be lonesome