[Pythonmac-SIG] FAQ item

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Tue Jul 29 22:41:02 EDT 2003

On dinsdag, jul 29, 2003, at 19:18 Europe/Amsterdam, Glenn Andreas
wrote:
> PyOXIDE does syntax coloring (and the next version should work
> correcty with 2.3), but it doesn't have the debugger that PythonIDE
> does (yet - it will soon though).  It is, however, making extremely
> good progress (last night I added a simple module help/documentation
> window that uses pydoc) - it is really amazing how powerful Python +
> PyObjC + Cocoa really is.

Glenn,
there were some questions here about your binary-only release of
PyOXIDE, and
I don't recall seeing an answer from you yet on the subject of PyOXIDE
licensing.

About the debugger: this is a part that is probably pulled over from
the existing
IDE relatively easy. There's also bits and pieces of a class/object
browser already
that we could use.

And in general: I would really like the IDE to be structured as a set
of widgets
(text I/O widget, editor widget, object browser widget, etc) that would
then
be used in an extensible set of windows (editor window and browser
window, clearly,
but the debugger window would probably contain an editor widget and two
browser widgets
too, if it were structured like the current IDE debugger window).

I would also like the IDE to be extensible. One of the things I want
is the possibility to add tools for specific target areas. For example,
something
like a CGI developer would be really nice: it runs your script as if it
is
a CGI script, once you're happy with that you can actually run it as a
real CGI
script and finally you can deploy it. Something I want even more (and
which is
even more work) is a dead simple dialog/window creation tool, similar to
what RealBasic (or, long ago, Hypercard) gives you. It should create
perfectly
normal nib files, and perfectly normal PyObjC code, so that it gives an
easy
learning curve from beginner to advanced.

--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -