[Pythonmac-SIG] PIL & _tkinter in PackageManager

Stuart Bishop zen at shangri-la.dropbear.id.au
Wed Jul 30 12:35:50 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 07:37  AM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On dinsdag, jul 29, 2003, at 17:12 Europe/Amsterdam, Tom Elliott wrote:
>
>> Running MacPython-2.3 installed from the binary installer
>> MacPython-OSX-2.3rc2-3.dmg, under OS X 10.2.6.  Used PackMan to
>> install everything available including PIL-1.1.4-binary
>>
>> If this script is run with the third line uncommented:
>>
>> import Image
>> im = Image.open("/Users/telliott/Desktop/x.jpg")
>> im.show()
>> print "got here"
>>
>> I get the classic "IOError: decoder jpeg not available", which I've
>> seen discussed at length here and elsewhere.  But I thought that
>> since Jack "built the PIL distribution on a system where libjpeg was
>> available" this shouldn't happen.  Did I just screw up or what?
>
> No, I screwed up. This will be fixed after the 2.3 binary installer
> gets built, but before it is announced to a wider audience. In other
> words: I expect the folks here to debug this;-)

And while we are discussing PIL:
It won't build without _tkinter support (looks like a bug in setup.py),
so this dependancy needs to be added to PIL-1.1.4-source

Installing _tkinter works, although at first glance it appears to
fail with a popup:
   (TclTkAqua): This package needs to be installed
   manually (no Download-URL field)

TclTkAqua is already installed happily and recognized by PM, so I guess
this message shouldn't be raised.

After installing _tkinter, PIL-source still dies with:
gcc -Wl,-x -Wl,-F. -bundle -framework Python
build/temp.darwin-6.6-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_imagingtk.o
build/temp.darwin-6.6-Power_Macintosh-2.3/Tk/tkImaging.o -LlibImaging
- -lImaging -o build/lib.darwin-6.6-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_imagingtk.so
ld: Undefined symbols:
_Tcl_AppendResult
_Tcl_CreateCommand
_Tk_FindPhoto