[Pythonmac-SIG] For your eyes only: MacPython 2.3 final

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jul 30 17:57:41 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 4:39PM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On woensdag, jul 30, 2003, at 20:02 Europe/Amsterdam, Bob Ippolito
> wrote:
>
>> Panther 7B21 with the Panther 7B21 dev tools, AquaTclTk installed,
>> MacPython 2.3 "final"
>> (Darwin Kernel is still Version 7.0.0b1)
>
> Ok, great! I'll start a Panther database some time next week with this
> info.
>
> And a few comments on your comments:
>> 	PyOpenGL-2.0.1.04beta-source
>> 		- Works, but:
>> 			Apple's GLUT changes the cwd to the Resources directory of
>> Python.app when you glutInit (i forgot about this one)
>
> This is standard silly behaviour from MacOSX glut, nothing we can do
> about it.

We can submit a patch/bug report to PyOpenGL.. or distribute a modified
version of PyOpenGL.

>> 			I didn't get Togl, is this a TclTk battery or a PyOpenGL+_tkinter
>> thing?
>
> I have never used it, but I think it's Tcl/Tk.
>
>> 	PIL-1.1.4-source
>> 		- Works, but:
>> 			did not get jpeg (not already installed)
>> 			did not get freetype (not already installed)
>> 		- I'll make a source recipe that downloads and compiles
>> libjpeg/freetype and links these statically
>
> I would say "don't bother". The binary installers are by far the most
> important, and I don't want to clutter PackMan with more than two
> different types of distribution types per package. Also, if at all
> possible I want to use the original source distribution. For pil-1.1.4
> this wasn't possible, because I probably made a mistake when I sent
> the last modifications to Fredrik, but this should be fixed for 1.1.5,
> and then we can get the normal source distribution again.

Well, the source recipe that downloads/compiles the dependencies makes
it easier for us to create the binary package (i.e. it makes it easy
for you, who has fink installed, to create binary packages that do not
depend on fink ;)

I'm about to send a large email out with ideas for the future of
Package Manager as I see it.  Currently I'm more interested in adding
cryptographic authenticity to Package Manager before I start
maintaining a lot of packages.

OH, one thing that's important to note is that XCode *DOES NOT HAVE
PBXBUILD*, which I believe the Python 2.3 build process depends on.
Instead, it's renamed to xcodebuild!!!  Donovan and I figured this out
today.  If you still have pbxbuild on your machine, it's from a
things (they renamed a lot of Developer Tools frameworks and stuff).