[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing PyObjC via PackMan

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Jul 31 12:43:16 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Jul 31, 2003, at 04:53 America/New_York, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On donderdag, jul 31, 2003, at 07:39 Europe/Amsterdam, Ronald Oussoren
> wrote:
>> The PyObjC examples/documentation are not installed using distutils,
>> and I assume this means they are not installed by PacMan. You could
>> download the PyObjC installer for Python 2.2, the .DMG also contains
>> a folder containing the Examples and Documentation. That should work
>> just fine with Python 2.3.
>
> Ah, yes, all the installers have this problem: supporting documents
> like examples and documentation aren't installed.
>
> I think we need to do two things about this:
> - for the future, think of a way this could be added to distutils.
> - for now, we need a way to give users who do a binary install of a
> package a way to get access to the examples. One way would be to
> create an extra installer, pyobjc_examples-1.0b2-binary, that would
> put the examples and any other interesting stuff you don't get with a
> binary install into /Applications/MacPython-2.3/Extras.
>
> Does this sound like a workable plan?

Also for documentation..  I was thinking last night that python could
keep an indexed directory of all pydoc and html documentation for
python.  Many packages use HTML documentation, that ends up getting
installed somewhere in site-packages.. That's probably not where it
should go, but there should be a metadata way of saying 'look here for
my documentation, don't bother introspecting me'.