[Pythonmac-SIG] Draft wxPackageManager Screenshot

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Thu Jul 31 11:18:30 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

I got some free time to play around with a wxPython version of Package
Manager and thought it's at a point where I can take a picture and get
some comments on UI issues. It's not fully functional yet, but it's
getting there pretty quickly. Also, let me note a couple things of
which I'm already aware:

- the options box needs to be moved up a bit, I'm using sizers so I
need to play with this some more ;-)

- I'd like there to be some way of visually conveying the status of a
package. I'm leaning towards little green/yellow/red gumdrops
(installed/outdated/not installed) next to the package name but I have
to figure out how to put those into a list box or something similar,
maybe a wxListCtrl. Or is this overkill? I think the colors help to
'flag' immediately differences between packages. In any case, I plan to
add "Status/Installed" lines either above the description textbox or
next to the Options box

- I'm planning on adding a "Show only: Installed/Not
installed/Outdated/Not installed and outdated" combobox above the
package list so that people can filter and see only what they need.

- As you might have guessed, I haven't found an icon for "View
Homepage" yet. <wink>

Without further ado, the link: http://www.theolliviers.com/PYPM.png

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,