[Pythonmac-SIG] enabling readline

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Jun 2 11:13:20 EDT 2003

Scott Frankel <leknarf at pacbell.net> writes:

> I'm attempting to enable the readline utility for my install of Python,
> which I got with the Developers Tools install.  Each step of the
> readline
> build went smoothly and without error; but importing readline in a
> python
> console spits:
> 	ImportError: No module named readline
>
> My guess (unless someone's got another idea) is that I'm got a bum path;
> or some part of the readline install put a file where it didn't
> belong. Dunno.

You also need the Python extensions module that connects Python to
readline.  I think this is what you're missing.

[...]
> python from Apple Developer Tools install:
>       /usr/bin/python2.2

This didn't some with the dev tools, as far as I know; I think it's
part of the "BSD subsytem" or whatever it's called.

Probably the easiest thing is to download the just-released Python
2.2.3 tarball and build that (sticking it in /usr/local/, probably).

There are other ways, google might help you find them.

Cheers,
M.

--
  That's why the smartest companies use Common Lisp, but lie about it
  so all their competitors think Lisp is slow and C++ is fast.  (This