[Pythonmac-SIG] jpeg under PIL?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jun 27 15:58:55 EDT 2003

curl http://undefined.org/python/darwinjpeg.tgz > darwinjpeg.tgz
tar zxvf darwinjpeg.tgz
sudo cp darwinjpeg/libjpeg.a /usr/local/lib/
sudo ranlib /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.a
sudo mkdir /usr/local/include
sudo cp darwinjpeg/j*.h /usr/local/include/
curl http://effbot.org/downloads/Imaging-1.1.4.tar.gz >
Imaging-1.1.4.tar.gz
tar zxvf Imaging-1.1.4.tar.gz
cd Imaging-1.1.4/libImaging
./configure
make
cd ..
sudo python2.3 setup.py build_ext -i
sudo cp -r PIL PIL.pth `python2.3 -c "import sys;print filter(lambda
x:x.endswith('site-packages'), sys.path)[0]"`
cd ..
sudo rm -rf darwinjpeg.tgz darwinjpeg Imaging-1.1.4.tar.gz Imaging-1.1.4

That should do the trick, it should work on a bare Panther machine, a
Jaguar machine with Python 2.3, and may even work for Apple Python
2.2.0 (of course, replace every python2.3 with just python).

It may complain if you have a framework Tcl/Tk installed, but it
should've compiled _imaging.so first anyways and will probably function
properly if you just ignore the error and copy it over to site-packages
anyways.  If any of the steps give an error like "directory already
exists" or "dib.o has no symbols" or something like that, it's not
really an error.. just go on.

-bob