[Pythonmac-SIG] question about how 2.3 GUI apps will work

Andrew Straw andrew.straw@adelaide.edu.au
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 11:10:19 +1030

Hi fellow Mac and Python philes:

I have recently been using Robin Dunn's Python 2.3a1 distribution with
Tkinter and recently downloaded Tcl and Tk frameworks (from the tcl
project download page).  I have been very impressed with increase in
ease of use in most regards since Python 2.2.  (Thanks *heaps* to Jack
and everyone else!)

There is one question I have, which I think went around the mailing
list a few weeks back, but I didn't get the final result.  (Possibly
because I just got lazy and didn't follow the thread, but I'm not
actually sure if there was a final answer then, and it may have
changed.)

What happens when you double-click a .py file that has Tkinter stuff
(i.e. open it with PythonLauncher)?  With Robin Dunn's Python 2.3a1
distribution for wxPython, this opens a Terminal window which displays
stdout and stderr (good), but clicking on the Tkinter window results in
the dreaded "SetFrontProcess failed,-606" error (bad).  Has this been
resolved?  Can it be resolved?  Or shall I now incorporate some sort of
automatic .py to .pyw copying script?  (Double clicking .pyw files
works fine.)

I ask now because I just read Jack's description about how his focus is
now on getting everything ready for 2.3 final, and I think this is an
important issue.  As I said, I'm probably being too lazy on this and
should just download the latest CVS version, configure, make, install,
and test this myself, but...

Cheers!
Andrew