[Pythonmac-SIG] error running test.py in 4Suite-0.12.0a3

Joel Rodrigues borgempath@Phreaker.net
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 14:53:10 +0530

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 03:29 , Jack Jansen wrote:

> On Friday, Feb 28, 2003, at 07:12 Europe/Amsterdam, Joel
> Rodrigues wrote:
>> This may the source of my problems :
>> ncurses-5.2X.pkg, package built by Chris Roberts. I don't know
>> where I got it. ANyone have a tip on an ncurses to download
>> and for OS X ?
>
> There's a good chance you run into errors with curses on MacOSX 10.1.
>
> 10.1 ships with an ancient curses, which isn't good enough for
> the Python curses module, so it is manually disabled. However,
> the curses implementation lives in libc, and because Python on
> 10.1 lives with a flat namespace for all globals even
> installing ncurses yourself and linking the curses module
> against that isn't guaranteed to work: if another extension
> module that was loaded earlier somehow refers to the old curses
> in libc your ncurses module will pick up that symbol and you're
> going to be hosed. All in all it's a pretty messy situation.
>
> All this has been fixed for 10.2, where ncurses is included, it
> doesn't live in libc anymore and we have two-level namespaces.
> Each of these alone would have fixed the problem:-)
>
> If you do want to try and continue with ncurses on 10.1: I had
> some success with the fink ncurses at the time.

Thank you for the information ! What a headache inducing problem.

No choice about the system I use right now. I'm stuck with my
current system, 233MHz G3 desktop running OS X 10.1.5 for at
least another 5 or 6 months.

I've just spent 2 hours trying to build ncurses 5.3, no luck so far.

> If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
> Emma Goldman

Nice sentiment. People should dance more. Not war dances ;-)

- Joel