[Pythonmac-SIG] State of Python on the Mac

Schollnick, Benjamin Benjamin.Schollnick@usa.xerox.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 08:59:42 -0500

Jack,

> But for scripting I don't have any ideas yet. Something with Mail or
> Address book or iTunes or so springs to mind, but I'm not really sure
what.
> Best would be something that is difficult or impossible to do in the host
program.

How about something so obvious it's funny?

A perfect example for scripting with the Address book, is a application
to print out a single record, with a "address book" look.

It's possible to print a "directory" style listing, of *ALL* the entries...

i.e.

first1	last1		phone #	address	etc
first2	last2		phone #	address	etc
first3	last3		phone #	address	etc
first4	last4		phone #	address	etc

But I'd like to be able to highlite a single entry and
have it print the equivalent of the address books single view...
You could also demo easy dialogs, by asking what type of output...
(i.e. export it to a PDF)

i.e.

		first1	last1
		company
		title

		phone1
		phone2
		mobile

		address

		notes

I'm rather annoyed that the address book doesn't have this built in...
(or at least the last time I tried this, it didn't)....

			- Benjamin