[Pythonmac-SIG] Building PPC Mac extension modules - newbie help!

Andy Robinson andy@reportlab.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:22:29 -0000

> Yes, it's the same thing. .prj was the old name, I'll change the
> documentation.
> That file was *horribly* outdated, I'm sorry for that. I don't have
> time to do
> a real rewrite, but I'll update it a bit.

Thanks, Jack!  No need to rewrite now, I'll do a document for
you and everyone once this works.

> Yes, in your case I think you need GUSI. Download it via
> <http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython.html>,
> you need a rather special GUSI to build Python.
> See :Mac:Demo:building.html for how to build it and where to put it.

What misled me was the bullet point in "odds and ends" about only
needing standard Python to build extensions.  I interpreted this
to mean "I don't need GUSI" but that was wrong.

I hope you don't mind me asking REALLY obvious sounding things
but these are usually the ones people get wrong on a new platform.

1. Your document suggests "GUSI2" and "GUSI2Carbon" directories.
I presume this is just a matter of duplicating the contents of
your SIT file, so one can build all the bits twice, and that I
should not have found 2 different downloads?

2. I am now using your GUSI and your MacPython source distribution.
Most things (GUSI, buildlibs) start to build but give loads of error
messages. The most common one is this:
   Error: identifier time_t redeclared, was "unsigned long" now "long"

Does this mean changes are needed for CodeWarrior 8 because MetroWerks
updated their libraries?  Are there any standard settings or preferences
one needs to set in CodeWarrior to start building things? Are you
actually using version 8?

Thanks,

Andy

p.s. Thanks very much for your suggestions below. It all sounds like
it will be great once I get set up properly and in general I think
the documentation and examples are excellent...