[Pythonmac-SIG] Building PPC Mac extension modules - newbie help!

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:05:32 +0100

On Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003, at 00:22 Europe/Amsterdam, Andy Robinson
wrote:
>> Yes, in your case I think you need GUSI. Download it via
>> <http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython.html>,
>> you need a rather special GUSI to build Python.
>> See :Mac:Demo:building.html for how to build it and where to put it.
>
> What misled me was the bullet point in "odds and ends" about only
> needing standard Python to build extensions.  I interpreted this
> to mean "I don't need GUSI" but that was wrong.

You can do without GUSI, but only if you build only an extension module,
and if you're 100% sure that that extension module does no Unix I/O
calls
(sockets, select, low-level open/close/read/write I/O, etc). In your
case
you're going to need GUSI anyways, because you're going to embed Python
later on, so you might as well build it up front.

> 1. Your document suggests "GUSI2" and "GUSI2Carbon" directories.
> I presume this is just a matter of duplicating the contents of
> your SIT file, so one can build all the bits twice, and that I
> should not have found 2 different downloads?

Nowadays there's only one GUSI directory, the contents are what you
downloaded
from the MacPython page. The project files in the "projects" folder will
build all flavors of the libraries.

> 2. I am now using your GUSI and your MacPython source distribution.
> Most things (GUSI, buildlibs) start to build but give loads of error
> messages. The most common one is this:
>    Error: identifier time_t redeclared, was "unsigned long" now "long"
>
> Does this mean changes are needed for CodeWarrior 8 because MetroWerks
> updated their libraries?  Are there any standard settings or
> preferences
> one needs to set in CodeWarrior to start building things? Are you
> actually using version 8?

I think CW7 versus CW8 could be the problem. I'm still using 7, and I
don't
think I'll shell out the money to upgrade. Alexandre Parenteau is using
8, though,
I think, so maybe he can answer this?
Goldman