[Pythonmac-SIG] Universal newline support in file.readlines()?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:01:45 +0100

On donderdag, maa 20, 2003, at 17:38 Europe/Amsterdam, Larry Meyn wrote:

> I use the readlines() method for file objects in many of my scripts.
> After switching to Python 2.3 (specifically the framework build
> 2.3.a2+ from the kitchen sink distro)  readlines() now seems to
> require that files have Unix newlines instead of Mac newlines.  This
> is really only an annoyance for me, since I probably won't switch back
> to earlier versions that require Mac newlines, but it could be a
> problem for people that do switch back and forth.  Is there a
> performance issue in supporting universal newlines in the readlines()?
>  Or am I missing something that makes universal newlines work in
> readlines()?

If you open a file with file = open(filename, 'U') then all methods to
read (read(), readline(), readlines(), xreadlines()) should return '\n'
for a newline, no matter what is used in the file.

If you're seeing something different this is definitely a bug,
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -