[Pythonmac-SIG] 4Suite troubles

Joel Bender jjb5@cornell.edu
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:47:02 -0500

Hi all,

I've been knocking myself around with XML tools and applications and
4Suite <http://4suite.org/>, on the Apple installed version of Python.

For the installation to be successful, a couple things need to
happen.  First, the bogus '-arch i386' needs to be removed from:

     /usr/lib/python2.2/config/Makefile

This has been mentioned before, and hopefully Apple will fix it.

Second, after the 'python setup.py build' and 'python setup.py
install' which will be successful, you need to do this strange dance:

% cat >foo.txt
_initcDomlettec
% sudo nmedit -s foo.txt /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Ft/Xml/cDomlettec.so

Can someone make some suggestions about what to change in the 4Suite
distribution that will fix this problem?  Apparently the nice folks
at Fourthought have tried a variety of things that work with some
versions of Python but break others.

I would be happy to try something and provide feedback to both
communities.  I can dance if you show me the steps, but don't be
surprised if I don't seem to know where my feet are!

Joel