[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: 2.3b1 installer suggestions

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 1 May 2003 14:56:16 +0200

On donderdag, mei 1, 2003, at 08:58 Europe/Amsterdam, bugs wrote:

> Jack,
>
> A couple of suggestions for 2.3b1...
>
> 1. The dmg download has OSX in its name.  Perhaps the OS9 version
> could have OS9 in it's name?  ...to help avoid confusion.  Both
> installers worked fine.

Good idea. I'll make a note for myself for the next release.

> 2. I disabled my previous framework and /Application folders.  The OSX
> installer loaded new folders.  I made no changes to /usr/local/* but
> noticed /usr/local/bin with new copies of python python2.3 pythonw and
> pythonw2.3.  I suppose I should ask...  Does this mean we will no
> longer need to do a non-framework build?  If so, that is a Good Thing.

Indeed, if you have a framework Python there's little reason to also
install a non-framework one.
This has always been the case, at least if you installed from source.

>   And then...  How about an installer option to 'disable'
> /usr/bin/python?  That too could be a Good Thing.

Hmm... No, I think I don't want to do this. What the installer (or
something else?) could check is that /usr/local/bin is on your $PATH,
and that it comes before /usr/bin. Would that be good enough? Who
should check this? I'm thinking that we may want an application similar
to OS9 EditPythonPrefs that allows you to set all sorts of Python
preferences (probably by mucking with ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist).

> 3. The PackageManager didn't work.  Looking at PackageManager.py, line
> 83, there is no URL.  Is this intentional for this beta?

It should work... It should open the default database, which is (from
Lib/plat-mac/pimp.py):
DEFAULT_PIMPDATABASE="http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/pimp/pimp-%s.plist" %
distutils.util.get_platform()

Do you get an error message? An empty package window?  Nothing?

> 4. Tkinter was only partially installed and in apparant contradiction
> with your note the other day suggesting Tk would be installed by
> PackageManager.  (Framework lib/Python2.3/lib-tk was fully populated.
> _tkinter.so was not in lib-dynlib.  Adding _tkinter.so and tweaking
> Tkinter.py (str wrap, line 1572) and a few of my simple Tkinter pgms
> worked fine.)

Sorry, you're right. Tkinter.py and lots of other Tk stuff is installed
by default, the only thing missing is _tkinter.so, which will be
installable by the Package Manager.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -