[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: 2.3b1 installer suggestions

Bugbee, Larry larry.bugbee@boeing.com
Thu, 1 May 2003 08:21:06 -0700

I agree.

How about /usr/bin/python being relinked to /usr/local/bin/python?

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Hudson [mailto:mwh@python.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 8:05 AM
To: pythonmac-sig@python.org
Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Re: 2.3b1 installer suggestions

"Bugbee, Larry" <larry.bugbee@boeing.com> writes:

> Disable, path resequencing... I really dunno.  Novice users will not
> understand either, although a case could be made that they should.
> I guess I still prefer disable because I cannot think of any real
> reason the /usr/bin version has to be there.  I don't believe even
> Apple uses it, and if we are truely backward compatible...  And
> changing the dir order in the path _could_ affect other stuff.  I
> agree changing the dir order makes the most sense but because the
> *nix community historically has had it the other way, are we asking
> for problems?  I don't know.  ...and the Novice surely doesn't.
>
> Anybody?

Moving or deleting /usr/bin/python would be a
get-your-knives-and-pitchforks-out type of mistake.  For example I
imagine it would break if there are any scripts starting=20

#!/usr/bin/python

and I think it would also break any pyobjc packages that are built
against the apple installed python.

Cheers,
M.

--=20
  > I wouldn't want to live without readline, but some of the=20
  > things it does call for the application of thumbscrews.
                                                   -- me on python-dev