[Pythonmac-SIG] framework and nonframework python

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Thu, 1 May 2003 09:58:47 -0700

>>2. I disabled my previous framework and /Application folders.  The
>>OSX installer loaded new folders.  I made no changes to
>>/usr/local/* but noticed /usr/local/bin with new copies of python
>>python2.3 pythonw and pythonw2.3.  I suppose I should ask...  Does
>>this mean we will no longer need to do a non-framework build?  If
>>so, that is a Good Thing.
>
>Indeed, if you have a framework Python there's little reason to also
>install a non-framework one. This has always been the case, at least
>if you installed from source.

Just to add my two bits: it is certainly true that one *need* not do
anything but a framework build. That gives you both the framework
applications and also a unix command line Python. Very nice!

On the other hand, some GUI developers may find both kinds of builds
useful. I use Tkinter and have both Aqua Tkinter (via the Framework
build) and X11 Tkinter (via a separate non-framework build). Thus I
can see how both MacOS X and unix users will see my application. It's
great!

It also means I can type ./myfile.py and have the
#!/usr/local/bin/python "shbang" line actually do something sensible
with Tk scripts. Last I tried this was impossible with Aqua Tk due to
deficiencies in MacOS X (the resulting GUI windows could not be
brought to the front and several variations of the shbang line that
tried to reach into the framework build didn't work any better).

-- Russell