[Pythonmac-SIG] framework and nonframework python

Bob Ippolito bob@redivi.com
Thu, 1 May 2003 13:41:37 -0400

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 12:58 America/New_York, Russell E Owen
wrote:

>>> 2. I disabled my previous framework and /Application folders.  The
>>> OSX installer loaded new folders.  I made no changes to /usr/local/*
>>> but noticed /usr/local/bin with new copies of python python2.3
>>> pythonw and pythonw2.3.  I suppose I should ask...  Does this mean
>>> we will no longer need to do a non-framework build?  If so, that is
>>> a Good Thing.
>>
>> Indeed, if you have a framework Python there's little reason to also
>> install a non-framework one. This has always been the case, at least
>> if you installed from source.
>
> Just to add my two bits: it is certainly true that one *need* not do
> anything but a framework build. That gives you both the framework
> applications and also a unix command line Python. Very nice!
>
> On the other hand, some GUI developers may find both kinds of builds
> useful. I use Tkinter and have both Aqua Tkinter (via the Framework
> build) and X11 Tkinter (via a separate non-framework build). Thus I
> can see how both MacOS X and unix users will see my application. It's
> great!
>
> It also means I can type ./myfile.py and have the
> #!/usr/local/bin/python "shbang" line actually do something sensible
> with Tk scripts. Last I tried this was impossible with Aqua Tk due to
> deficiencies in MacOS X (the resulting GUI windows could not be
> brought to the front and several variations of the shbang line that
> tried to reach into the framework build didn't work any better).

You could use the same framework python and just have two different
folders in your PYTHONPATH, one for Carbon/Cocoa GUI extensions and one
for X11 extensions and just toggle your path depending on what you're
trying to look at.

-bob