[Pythonmac-SIG] 2.3b1 PackageManager quick fix

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Fri, 2 May 2003 22:53:15 +0200

Jack Jansen wrote:

> As to how PyPI and PackMan are related: you could say they solve the
> same problem, because it's both about adding packages to your
> installation. But where PyPI is about finding a package in an ever
> growing haystack of useful packages it stops right there: you get a
> URL and you're expected to download and install the package yourself.
>
> PackMan does almost exactly the opposite: it assumes there's a
> trustworthy benevolent person somewhere who carefully selects
> packages, builds and tests them on a specific platform, gives them
> his/her seal of approval and provides pointers to a binary and source
> installer (the latter probably the same you would have found with
> PyPI). This person is called the Scapegoat, because if the package
> doesn't work the end user is entitled to blame him/her: either the
> package wasn't tested, or it was tested only partially, and a
> dependency was missing in the database (a dependency on something the
> scapegoat had installed but the user who needed the package didn't).

I think PackMan and PyPI (should) overlap a great deal; in a sense
PackMan extends the idea of PyPI with download/install capabilities.
Both are pretty cool, but together they would *rule*. Together they are
like fink and cpan.

Just