[Pythonmac-SIG] which directory should be deleted for a clean install?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Mon May 5 16:09:03 EDT 2003

On maandag, mei 5, 2003, at 03:33 Europe/Amsterdam, Kevin Altis wrote:

> I was trying to walk someone through installing 2.3b1, wxPython
> 2.4.0.7, and
> PythonCard today and while we got everything installed and running,
> there is
> definitely some funky wxPython controls display/behavior on their box
> that
> I'm not seeing on mine. They are running Jaguar 10.2.4 and I have
> 10.2.5,
> but the problem with some of the wxPython controls seems much more
> like a
> problem with an old lib. Since this person was also helping me do some
> tests
> about a year ago when wxPython first started working on Mac OS X there
> is a
> good possibility of old cruft on their box.
>
> So, the question is which directory/directories and links do I have to
> remove from their machine so that I can do a clean Python 2.3b1 and
> wxPython
> 2.4.0.7 install with no possibility of old files causing problems?
> They do
> have a PYTHONPATH setup via environment.plist and .cshrc so that they
> can
> test the cvs version of PythonCardPrototype, but that shouldn't impact
> wxPython.

For MacPython simply remove /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework,
/Applications/MacPython-2.3
and ~/Library/Preferences/Python.
For wxPython I don't know, ask the wxptyhon-mac folks. And I suspect
wxPython is indeed
your problem...

> BTW, I'm not using the PackageManager to install wxPython 2.4.0.7, the
> PM
> crashes on my box just after the list of packages is displayed.

That is fixed with the new (MacPython-OSX-2.3b1-2.dmg) installer.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -