[Pythonmac-SIG] which directory should be deleted for a clean install?

Kevin Ollivier kevino@tulane.edu
Mon May 5 16:51:12 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Jansen" <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com>
To: "Kevin Altis" <altis@semi-retired.com>
Cc: <pythonmac-sig@python.org>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 8:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] which directory should be deleted for a clean
install?

> On maandag, mei 5, 2003, at 03:33 Europe/Amsterdam, Kevin Altis wrote:
>
> > I was trying to walk someone through installing 2.3b1, wxPython
> > 2.4.0.7, and
> > PythonCard today and while we got everything installed and running,
> > there is
> > definitely some funky wxPython controls display/behavior on their box
> > that
> > I'm not seeing on mine. They are running Jaguar 10.2.4 and I have
> > 10.2.5,
> > but the problem with some of the wxPython controls seems much more
> > like a
> > problem with an old lib. Since this person was also helping me do some
> > tests
> > about a year ago when wxPython first started working on Mac OS X there
> > is a
> > good possibility of old cruft on their box.
> >
> > So, the question is which directory/directories and links do I have to
> > remove from their machine so that I can do a clean Python 2.3b1 and
> > wxPython
> > 2.4.0.7 install with no possibility of old files causing problems?
> > They do
> > have a PYTHONPATH setup via environment.plist and .cshrc so that they
> > can
> > test the cvs version of PythonCardPrototype, but that shouldn't impact
> > wxPython.
>
> For MacPython simply remove /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework,
> /Applications/MacPython-2.3
> and ~/Library/Preferences/Python.
> For wxPython I don't know, ask the wxptyhon-mac folks. And I suspect
> wxPython is indeed
> your problem...

Yes, my guess is that the wxPython/wxMac shared libraries might be the
problem. The easiest way to uninstall wxPython is probably to head over to
http://www.osxgnu.org and download their OSX Package Manager application.
After you've installed that (it resides in
/Applications/Utilities/OSXPM.app) you can delete any pacakge that has been
installed on the machine. It may also be worth checking if they've tried to
install these packages before. (OSXPM should actually show if they have an
older version of MachoPython/wxPython installed.)

Kevin