[Pythonmac-SIG] One step closer....

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu May 8 09:22:31 EDT 2003

On woensdag, mei 7, 2003, at 21:11 Europe/Amsterdam, Frank Steele wrote:
> The PowerBook on which I'm installing is a plain-vanilla 12" PowerBook
> with
> Dec 2002 Developer Tools. I now can open the Package Manager, but none
> of
> the installs will work. It looks like it's a rights and privileges
> problem,
> since the privileges for
> Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-
> packages
> are:
>
> drwxr-xr-x    3 root  admin     102 May  6 21:36 site-packages

Yes, this permission problem is something that still needs sorting out.
Python installs are usually only writable by the owner, but if you do a
binary
install everything is root-owned, so this is a nuisance. I think I'm
going to enable group-write, but I'm not 100% sure yet that that's the
right solution.

> I'm comfortable enough enabling and becoming root and rerunning Package
> Manager, but is that how things are supposed to work?

For now, yes.

> Even if I select "For
> Current User Only", it fails.

That is strange. Could you send me a more detailed report?
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -