[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager: Permissions Problem

Richard Cooper Richard@RichardCooper.org
Tue May 13 00:12:20 EDT 2003

I'll failing to get the 2.3b1 Package Manager to install readline.

After tinkering with pimp.py I've worked out that it's a file
permissions issue. Putting "tf.debug=3" in PimpTarUnpacker.unpack()
produces the following output when tf.extract(member, self._dir) is run.

tarfile: Permission denied
'/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python2.3/
lib-dynload/readline.so'

It seems that while all the directories above it are owned by me,
lib-dynload is owned by root/staff.

What is the correct permissions for
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python2.3/
lib-dynload?  Does the installer need modifying or must pimp be run as
root?

On a slightly unrelated note. the tarfile package in the standard
library seems to have a very strange API. Commands that fail should
(IMHO) throw exceptions not check a debug level and then maybe write a
error message to sys.stdout. This would have made finding the cause of
this error MUCH easier.

Regards,

Rich