[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter problem in 2.3b1

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Mon May 19 18:20:43 EDT 2003

>Folks,
>the Tkinter problem in 2.3b1 turns out to be more difficult than expected. The
>workaround is easy, but we're trying to find out what it is that is
>really going wrong here, because the problem only seems to occur on
>MacOSX with AquaTk.
>
>Here are two questions for you:
>- Is there anyone who is *not* seeing the problem that Tkinter
>complains about "version '8.4' not equal to '8.4'"?
>- Did everyone install the "batteries included" distribution of
>AquaTclTk? If someone installed something else (like the minimal
>distribution): do you also see the problem?
>
>(The reason I'm asking this is that somehow the tcl_version has
>turned from a string into a float on MacOSX. _tkinter doesn't do
>this, so something else must have done it. And it happens only on
>MacOSX. I'm trying to find the culprit).
>--
>Jack Jansen, <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
>If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution -- Emma Goldman

I am not seeing the problem on my two machines.

I installed the framework Python 2.3b1 from source. I am pretty sure
that I installed Aqua Tk 8.4.2 from binaries but unfortunately I
cannot be positive. (I have both the source and a binary installer
and have done source tcl/tk installations in the past).

-- Russell

Details that probably don't matter:
- I have a framework Python 2.3b1 talking to Aqua Tkinter 8.4.2. I
also have command-line/unix Python 2.3b1 talking to X11 Tkinter
8.4.1. These are completely separate installations. I installed 2.3b1
first and then installed the unix stuff (so that the unix command
line stuff overwrote the 2.3b1 command line stuff).
- One of my computers runs 10.2.3, the other 10.2.6. Both are PowerMac G4s.