[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter problem drives me mad... Mad.... MAAAAAAAAAADDDDD!!!!

Helmut Strey strey@mail.pse.umass.edu
Wed May 21 21:28:18 EDT 2003

--Apple-Mail-2-79770574

> From: Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>
> Date: Tue May 20, 2003  9:10:28  AM US/Eastern
> To: pythonmac-SIG@python.org
> Subject: [Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter problem drives me mad... Mad....
> MAAAAAAAAAADDDDD!!!!
>

> I thought I had the Tkinter problem figured out, as I explained in a
> help.
>
> I used to have the problem, and I had the batteries included
> distribution installed. Then I removed Tcl/Tk from my system by doing
>
> % sudo rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework
> /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework /Library/Tcl
>
> Then I installed the minimal TclTkAqua distribution. And, indeed, the
> problem was gone.
>
> *But*: then I installed the Batteries Included distribution again
> (over the minimal install, I didn't remove it first), assuming the
> problem would return, *but it does not*! "import Tkinter" works just
> fine!
>
> Could someone who sees the problem currently please try the above
> steps too, just to make sure that I'm not doing something silly?
> --
> Jack Jansen, <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
> If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution -- Emma
> Goldman

I found part of the problem.  It is not enough to remove
/Library/Frameworks/(tcl,tk).
Batteries included installs stuff at /Library/Tcl and
/System/Library/Tcl (I am not
sure about all of the locations).  Tkinter only compiled correctly
after throwing
all this stuff in the trash, reinstalling TclTkAqua and, recompiling
Python-2.3b1.
Idle works now.  Before I had just trashed /Library/Frameworks/(Tcl,
Tk) and
Idle would not work.  It definitely has something to do with the
configure / make
step.

I hope this helps

Helmut H. Strey
Polymer Science and Engineering Department
University of Massachusetts Amherst

--Apple-Mail-2-79770574

<excerpt><bold>

From: </bold>Jack Jansen <<Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>

<bold>Date: </bold>Tue May 20, 2003  9:10:28  AM US/Eastern

<bold>To: </bold>pythonmac-SIG@python.org

<bold>Subject: </bold>[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter problem drives me mad...
[...]

</excerpt>

I found part of the problem.  It is not enough to remove
/Library/Frameworks/(tcl,tk).

Batteries included installs stuff at /Library/Tcl and
/System/Library/Tcl (I am not

sure about all of the locations).  Tkinter only compiled correctly
after throwing

all this stuff in the trash, reinstalling TclTkAqua and, recompiling
Python-2.3b1.

Idle works now.  Before I had just trashed /Library/Frameworks/(Tcl,
Tk) and

Idle would not work.  It definitely has something to do with the
configure / make

step.

I hope this helps

Polymer Science and Engineering Department

University of Massachusetts Amherst

</fontfamily>

--Apple-Mail-2-79770574--