[Pythonmac-SIG] PackageManager maintainer questions

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Tue May 27 21:34:24 EDT 2003

On dinsdag, mei 27, 2003, at 21:32 Europe/Amsterdam, Kevin Ollivier
wrote:
>>> BTW. Moving some logic into a seperate process might also help with
>>> the problem that 'import wxPython' interferes with the runloop of
>>> the PackageManager itself.
>>
>> Doable, but not easy. It would require putting a client/server stub
>> between PackageManager and pimp.
>
> Actually, thinking about this, what about using popen or something
> similar and starting a separate instance of Python to run the module
> installation test code? This would handle the case where, for whatever
> reason, an extension or module caused a crash (i.e. corrupt
> installation, etc.) without taking down PackageManager as well.

I don't think this is worth it. It would still require to think up some
protocol, and only really with the benefit that PackageManager wouldn't
crash. If it crashes: too bad, blame the scapegoat:-)
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -