[Pythonmac-SIG] Shelve ... Denied!

Israel C. Evans israel at sandlotgames.com
Tue May 27 16:43:00 EDT 2003

hello there friendly python people.

I'm  currently attempting to use the shelve module in a couple of cgi
scripts and after having gone through and gotten nearly everything
working on the command line, I'm running into brick walls inside my
browser.

I'm using MacOS X 10.2.6 with a build of apache 2.0.4x with python
2.3a2.

The error occurs when I try to open up a shelve. I'm not sure if it has
to do with permissions since I've already made all involved cgi files
and the shelve db executable and chmoded to 755.  I'm thinking it might
have something to do with the flags I'm using to open up the shelve,
but they are the only way I could figure out how to open them in the
console.

here is the bit that python or maybe apache chokes on:
db = shelve.open('200305','c')

and this gives me this error (condensed due to the size of the cgitb
traceback info I get).
error: (13, 'Permission denied')
        args = (13, 'Permission denied')

Does anyone have any clues as to why this might be happening? I would
gratefully appreciate any help you might have to offer.

Thanks,

~Israel~