[Pythonmac-SIG] MySQLdb -- dyld: python Undefined symbols

William McLendon txagcs98 at hotmail.com
Wed May 28 12:15:34 EDT 2003

>From: Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>
>To: "William McLendon" <txagcs98 at hotmail.com>
>CC: pythonmac-sig at python.org
>Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] MySQLdb -- dyld: python Undefined symbols
>Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:06:02 +0200
>
>On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 19:38 Europe/Amsterdam, William McLendon
>wrote:
>
>>Howdy,
>>
>>I'm on an OS-X box 10.2.6 and am trying to learn how to use the python
>>hooks into a MySQL database.  The mysql server is running on the localhost
>>(just the basic installation so far)... I got the MySQL-python-0.9.2
>>distribution from the sourceforge site.  To my knowledge it installed
>>correctly.  I don't recall seeing any errors when I ran setup.py.
>>
>>So, I have a little test database just to learn the workings set up called
>>"testdb" and here's the python code that I've got so far in my little
>>learning code:
>>
>>#!/usr/bin/env python
>>import _mysql
>>db = _mysql.connect(host="localhost", db="testdb")
>># EOF
>>

>>Running this I get a big dump of undefined symbols:
>>dyld: python Undefined symbols:
>>_ERR_get_error_line_data
>>_SSL_SESSION_set_timeout
>
>Tom already pointed in the right direction: one of the modules was
>dynamically linked against the openSSL library, but this library could not
>be found at runtime. Why this is I don't know, as you state you have
>/usr/lib/libssl.dylib. Maybe the extension was linked against another
>libssl version?
>
>There is lots of debug output you can make the dynamic loader produce, see
>"man dyld". Maybe this gives a clue?

Hrm... I tried again, with some debugging turned on with dyld, but still
don't see anything in the output that gives me any clue as to _where_ it's
looking for the ssl libs nor what exact library name it's hunting for.  I'm
using Python 2.2 that I believe came with Jaguar...

Do you think it might be a problem with python not knowing where ssl might
be?  Or the mysql library not being able to find it?

-William