[Pythonmac-SIG] MySQLdb -- dyld: python Undefined symbols

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu May 29 23:46:45 EDT 2003

On woensdag, mei 28, 2003, at 19:15 Europe/Amsterdam, William McLendon
wrote:
>> Tom already pointed in the right direction: one of the modules was
>> dynamically linked against the openSSL library, but this library
>> could not be found at runtime. Why this is I don't know, as you state
>> you have /usr/lib/libssl.dylib. Maybe the extension was linked
>> against another libssl version?
>>
>> There is lots of debug output you can make the dynamic loader
>> produce, see "man dyld". Maybe this gives a clue?
>

> Hrm... I tried again, with some debugging turned on with dyld, but
> still don't see anything in the output that gives me any clue as to
> _where_ it's looking for the ssl libs nor what exact library name it's
> hunting for.  I'm using Python 2.2 that I believe came with Jaguar...
>
> Do you think it might be a problem with python not knowing where ssl
> might be?  Or the mysql library not being able to find it?

The dyld output also doens't give you a clue as to who tried to load
the ssl library? The order of libraries loaded should tell you whether
it's the mysql library or the python ssl extension.

Another idea: try to build as much as possible on your own machine in
stead of loading pre-built copies. You mention grabbing pyssl, for
instance, if you grabbed a pre-built copy of that it could be that the
person who did the build had things in a different location than you.
At least then you know who to blame:-)
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -