[Pythonmac-SIG] PackMan issues

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Sat Nov 1 15:06:51 EST 2003

Hi Tom,

You might want to take a look at wxPackageManager. While working on the
Windows 'version', I had to get around the fact that "curl", which PM
uses to download packages, wasn't available - so I wrote a pure Python
solution using urllib. Since the downloading code is in Python, I could
then set up a little progress dialog to update the status and a cancel
button to stop the operation. It doesn't tell the size before hitting
install, but the progress dialog will say "x of y bytes downloaded" so
if y is huge you can just click cancel. You can download it from:

http://www.theolliviers.com/python/wxpm/

There are a few other nice features added in as well, which I list on
the web site. BTW, it includes the wxPython extension libs, so it
should work even if you don't have wxPython installed. (I say should
because my I don't have a spare Mac without wxPython to test with.) It
is still very new, but it uses PIMP as the backend so most of the code
re-write is the GUI itself. The Windows version still needs work, again
because of lack of the "unzip" command line tool, but as you can see in
the screenshot, I've installed many of the Mac packages successfully
with it. ;-)

If you do use it, please let me know how it goes!

Thanks,

Kevin