[Pythonmac-SIG] PackMan Fails to Install on Panther?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Nov 3 15:37:18 EST 2003

On Nov 3, 2003, at 3:25 PM, Joshua Tompkins wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> On Nov 3, 2003, at 3:16 PM, Joshua Tompkins wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running Python 2.3 on a stock install of Panther (I erased the
>>> drive and did a clean install), using Jack's second build of Python.
>>>  If it matters, my computer is a Dual-USB iBook 600 with 384 megs of
>>> RAM.
>>>
>>> When I run PackMan, I can install things from the official list
>>> without any problems.  If I try to install anything from Bob's
>>> unofficial list, though, I run into some problems.  No matter what I
>>> try to install, I get a beach ball, then, a moment later, the
>>> interface is usable again, but the package doesn't install.  PackMan
>>> gives a status "no module X" message.  Is this a Panther issue, or a
>>> PackMan issue, or am I just doing something wrong?
>>

>> My unofficial list isn't built for Panther yet.  It's a Jaguar list
>> and it puts things in the Jaguar places.  Recompiling all these for
>> Panther is on my list.
>>
> Thanks for the update, I'll keep that in mind for next time.  Since it
> puts things in the wrong places, did the install just fail, or do I
> need to go hard drive spelunking to find files that are in the wrong
> spots?

Since you do have a stock panther machine without another copy of
Python 2.3, technically you can use these modules.  They got installed
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-
packages/

just move them into your /Library/Python/2.3/ folder .. if you're doing
a lot of these, you probably want to just make that site-packages a
symlink to /Library/Python/2.3/

A "home" or "user" installation would probably put them in place where
Panther python would find it.

But again, be warned, these modules are all compiled for Jaguar python
and may cause trouble if you include them with a bundlebuilder
--semi-standalone or --standalone for people who have both framework
pythons installed, and they will stop working if you end up installing
the 10.2 version of MacPython 2.3.