Interpreter in bundlebuilder (was: [Pythonmac-SIG] PackMan issues)

Paul Berkowitz berkowit at silcom.com
Tue Nov 4 11:19:24 EST 2003

On 11/4/03 5:30 AM, "Jack Jansen" <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> wrote:

> On 4-nov-03, at 10:11, Just van Rossum wrote:
>> With --semi-standalone, bundlebuilder uses the actual Python executable
>> path for the bootstrap #! line. Apparently this version was built on
>> Panther, so it uses #!/System/Library/Frameworks/...etc., which
>> obviously fails on Jaguar. (I tried to convince Jack back then that it
>> was better to just always use #!/usr/bin/python for bootstrapping
>> (--standalone already does this), I now wish I didn't give in...)
>
> Okay, okay, you were right:-)
>
> The only thing I can say is that I hadn't expected Apple to include
> MacPython
> at the time...

I'm fascinated as always to read about all these different issues. I'm
wondering where things stand at this point on what I would consider the end
aim of them all:

Are we yet at a place where I could choose to install clearly marked items
of MacPython and/or PackMan - preferably the whole thing of either or both -
in order to give me better tools for developing in Python such as a nice IDE
- but still not require my users to install anything except the current (or
a specified earlier) OS such as OS 10.3 in order to run the applications or
scripts I make?

I realize that other people are interested in being able to make
cross-platform applications which might have a different answer.

--
Paul Berkowitz