[Pythonmac-SIG] PackMan issue

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Nov 4 13:36:47 EST 2003

On Nov 4, 2003, at 1:06 PM, Dethe Elza wrote:

> I've just updated to Panther and I'm trying to get my Python
> environment working again.  I grabbed the Panther Add-ons and began
> installing what was missing.  Around Tkinter the PackageManager
> crashed and wouldn't restart successfully.  In the console was the
> error, "Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version
> mismatch?)."  I deleted the _tkinter.so and PackageManager started
> working again.  I was able to load the Pygames package list from URL
> (it would be nice if PackMan could remember this between invokations)
> and load the Pygames dependencies, but things started going south
> again.  Now PackageManager is no longer crashing, but the same message
> is showing up in the console.  I'm not able to install packages, but
> it just quietly fails now, with no info except that message in the
> console.  How can I go about finding what is causing PackMan to fail?

Your problem is that there is a conflict between the two versions of
Python you have installed.  The simple answer is to uninstall the
10.2-centric version of MacPython 2.3, instructions are available here:
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/uninstall.html

For more information, you may check the archives for the past week or
two.. but uninstalling should make things happy again.