[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython logo redux

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Tue Nov 4 16:52:59 EST 2003

Hi Martina,

On Nov 4, 2003, at 1:33 PM, Martina Oefelein wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
>> The Windows snake, the PyGame logo, and the 16-Ton icon (though an
>> obscure reference) keep this feeling of playfulness/silliness
>
> for me those look just like icons from the old (Win95/MacOS7) days,
> probably due to the limited color-depth and the primitive
> checkerboard-dithering.
>
> Potential new users might think "this looks sooo old, does it run on
> MacOS X at all or do I need MacOS Classic for it?" and turn away.

True, I totally agree here. I'd like to see a OS X/XP style icon
myself. I unfortunately don't have the graphic skills to make that
happen. :-(

>>  - this new icon doesn't say "playful" or "light-hearted" at all. I
>> don't associate it with my own experiences using Python. It makes me
>> think 'tough' and 'dangerous', and I don't see why one would want to
>> convey the Python software/community that way.
>
> Well, it should be possible to make a modern-looking icon which still
> looks playful.
>
> On the other hand, the "tough" look somehow fits the "tough" look of
> Panther and the G5.

But I don't think we should defer to Apple too much for a logo because
we're promoting Python. A Python icon/logo should remind me of Python,
not Panther or the G5.

Kevin