[Pythonmac-SIG] [newbie] Question about mod_psp with Apache and MacPython 2.3.x under 10.2.6

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Nov 7 14:50:34 EST 2003

On Nov 7, 2003, at 2:36 PM, Marlon A. Griffith wrote:

> Hello there,
> 	I am testing the waters with this my first post. I like php for web
> development and came across mod_psp, which has an embedded structure
> like php. It is experimental, but functional for the author. I believe
> under linux.
> 	The procedure was to compile the module and install it under apache.
> Does anyone have any experience with this module or compiling python
> modules for apache using MacPython 2.3.x libraries as the core?
>
> Please Note: I can post the details but wanted to test the waters
> before sending all the error messages and modified files, etc.

While it would work in theory, especially because OS X (except for
server, at least) still uses Apache 1.3.x, you shouldn't use this.  The
author hasn't touched it in 7 months (according to sf.net CVS), it
doesn't have a proper webpage, the only release I could find was only
available from one of the author's blog entries (not even on sf), etc.

There are many other solutions you should consider, such as Zope,
WebWare, mod_python, etc. that can be used in a similar fashion.  But
then again, design patterns "like php" are being moved away from,
because code and display markup in the same file breaks down really
fast, isn't very extensible, and doesn't really provide a lot of
opportunities for optimization.   Even ASP.NET encourages you to put
all of your application logic in the "codebehind" and use the aspx file
for display issues only.  So perhaps you should consider learning one
of the other design patterns for web application design instead of
trying to "do php in python".  Besides, it's extremely easy to find PHP
hosting, and much harder to find any non-CGI Python hosting (unless
you're willing to pay good money for it, to get a dedicated server or
the like), so maybe sticking with PHP is just a better option for web
applications with that kind of approach.