[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython logo redux

Arthur Elsenaar artelse at mohr-i.nl
Sat Nov 8 12:19:43 EST 2003

Hi,

another comment about the icon issue..

Someone wrote:

>>  > OK, compromise.  What we need is a friendly, totemic, 16 ton snake.
>>
>> With a big foot that squashes things?  Sort of an upside-down
>> Trogdor...
>
> Excellent.  I second this.

I thought about this too and like the fact that we can get away from
the (terrible..) Apple logo. I did some graphic design today with a big
monty python foot squashing a big X.

And indeed, isn't Apple about big X's these days? What versions did we
have till now: Aqua blue, Jaguar skin and brushed metal. This made me
think of having a big X with a python skin.. but, that wouldn't
communicate clearly enough, because it's too subtle. So why don't we go
back to Bob's proposal, but exchange the Apple with a big X.

Maybe even better, have the snake (with glasses 8-) curled up -in- the
X, like hanging in a tree. I'm an artist, but not the pixel-pushing
type, so maybe Bob's artist can have a go at this?

Also, I like the fact that using the X is pointing to where MacPython's
future is. (Hmm, maybe a big X made of chocolate -> Cocoa? This is
pointing to an old Dutch tradition, so Jack, Just and Guido might like
it..)

Arthur
ps: for the curious, you can see my quick mockups at
http://artifacial.org/tmp/