[Pythonmac-SIG] Panther, MacPython (from source)

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu Nov 13 17:45:12 EST 2003

On 13-nov-03, at 23:36, Robb Brown wrote:

> I compiled a copy of MacPython 2.3.2 from source for Jaguar (because
> 2.3 seems to have some bugs that prevent our extension modules from
> working that are resolved with 2.3.2).  Now I'd like to get a
> MacPython system for Jaguar running.  2.3.2 compiles and installs fine
> on Jaguar but with no Package Manager or IDE.  If I install these
> using the MacPython Panther Addons installer, they use Apple's Python
> 2.3.

If you build 2.3.2 as a framework build (./configure
--enable-framework) then you get everything. You must also use "make
frameworkinstall" in stead of "make install" to install it. You're
better off building from CVS (the release23-maint branch), because it
has some fixes to the IDE and Package Manager that were too late for
2.3.2.

The only problem is that Package Manager will by default use the
database that is meant for the Apple-installation, you have to manually
select the database for Jaguar.

> Further, the modules they install do not seem to be compatible with
> MacPython 2.3.2 (if I copy the module from /Library/Python/2.3 to the
> site-packages directory of my 2.3.2 Framework, then import them,
> Python reports:
>
> Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)
> Abort

That's Python's way of saying *don't do that!*:-)

The safe way is to always ensure you use modules only in the same
Python you built them with.
Goldman