[Pythonmac-SIG] Additional Package Manager database for 10.3 now available

Martina Oefelein Martina at Oefelein.de
Sun Nov 16 15:55:58 EST 2003

Hi Bob,

when I tried to download Cheetah from your Panther database, Package
Manager reported the following error:

Problem with dependency: (WriteableBin): This package cannot be
installed automatically (no Download-URL field)

Well, this error message isn't that helpful. I'm apparently supposed to
figure out that this refers to a hidden package named (WriteableBin),
and to check "Show Hidden", locate the package, and read its
description in order to fix the issue. I think there has to be a better
way. Maybe Package Manager should be extended to provide a way to
report such dependencies in a user-friendly manner.

Second issue: The description of (WriteableBin) says that I should
grant admins write access to
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin. Am I the
only one who is a bit scared of installing software into /System or
granting anybody write access there? Is it really necessary? This
directory is not even on my path, so why do files have to live there?

ciao
Martina