[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [ann] AppScripting 0.1.0

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Nov 18 13:55:11 EST 2003

On Nov 18, 2003, at 1:18 PM, Richard Collins wrote:

>> From: has <hengist.podd at virgin.net>
>> Date: 18 november 2003 12:45:35 GMT+01:00
>> To: pythonmac-sig at python.org
>> Subject: [Pythonmac-SIG] [ann] AppScripting 0.1.0
>>

>> Hello all,
>>
>> First release of AppScripting, a new OSA module, is available for
>> your pleasure and amusement:
>>
>>    http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/AppScripting.sit
>>

>> Unstuff the AppScripting folder and drop it into MacPython's
>> site-packages folder.
>>

> Excuse my ignorance but for me there is some confusion about where
> this folder goes.
>
> I have 10.3.1 and MacPython installed.
>
> When I look inside the MacPython folder there is no 'site-packages'
> folder. so asking google gives me some idea where it should go, then I
> search my drive for 'site-packages', and it only appears at
> /usr/lib/python2.2/, and also in a /Library/Frameworks/ folder, also a
> 2.2 version.
>
> My confusion is that when I run python it tells me I have 2.3, but my
> machine has no 'python2.3' folders?

/Library/Python/2.3 is your "site-packages" folder for the version of
MacPython included with OS X 10.3.. the actual site-packages is in the
depths of /System, but it's a symlink to /Library/Python/2.3

You have a bunch of old junk around from previous versions of OS X, a
clean install of 10.3 wouldn't have /usr/lib/python2.2 and you
shouldn't really have a version of Python in /Library/Frameworks under
10.3.