[Pythonmac-SIG] aeve versus AppScripting versus AppleScript

Bernard Bernu bernu at lptl.jussieu.fr
Fri Nov 21 04:25:00 EST 2003

Chris,
Thanks for your reply. I apologize : I should have read first the
doc you mentioned.

I agree with you that this sounds a standard C extension problem.
Now for debugging and analyzing data I'd like to do lots of curves,
3d plots, ...
I'm using Smile (an AppleScript app) that works perfectly.
( http://www.satimage.fr/software/en/index.html )
So I'd like to communicate between AppleScript and Python.
But I'm very new in AppleScript and I could not see
which of aeve or AppScripting would be the best for that.
Mainly, I want to take numbers, vectors of numbers and
matrices from the application and make graphic analysis
in Smile.

Le jeudi, 20 nov 2003, à 20:05 Europe/Paris, Chris Barker a écrit :

Bernard
> Bernard Bernu wrote:
>> I'm thinking of writing an interface for diagonalizing huge matrices.
>> The whole memory will be used to store the matrix, vectors. No
>> duplication is allowed.
>> The work will be done in C/C++.
>> The points I do not understand is :
>>         1) who "should" own the data?
>>         2) who can use the data WITHOUT doing copy of them?
>
> Why would you want to use any of the above options for this? This
> sounds
> like a standard C extention problem. I would check out Numeric or
> Numarray (one the old and one the new version of NumPy). A NumPy array
> would be a good way to store your data in Python, and that data can be
> manipulated in a C extension without copying. That is if NumPy does not
> already do what you want.
I already use numarray and this is great.

> http://www.pfdubois.com/numpy/
>
> and for the basics of writing a C exension:
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/ext/ext.html
>
> -Chris
>

> --
> Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
> Oceanographer
>
> NOAA/OR&R/HAZMAT         (206) 526-6959   voice
> 7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
>
> Chris.Barker at noaa.gov

_____
Bernard Bernu						|  Internet : bernu at lptl.jussieu.fr.
Physique Théorique des Liquides		|
http://www.lptl.jussieu.fr/users/bernu
4, place Jussieu, Tour 16, Et. 5		|  Tel : (33) 01 44 27 72 38
Boîte 121							|   Fax : (33) 01 44 27 51 00
75252 Paris Cedex 05, France		|