[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing pygsl

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Mon Nov 24 17:47:14 EST 2003

On 21-nov-03, at 16:00, Drew McCormack wrote:
> Apparently it can't find malloc.h or the Numeric header file
> arrayobject.h. Anyone know why this might be? Is there an environment
> variable I need to set? I would have thought the standard version of
> python in panther would know where Numeric was installed (yes, I did
> install the source code as well as the binaries).

Malloc.h could be seen as a bug in pygsl: it's a non-standard header,
you should include stdlib.h.

The Numeric problem is more subtle: The standard Python file layout
doesn't cater for the fact that its include directory is non-writable
by mere sysadmins. Apple worked around this for site-packages by making
it a symlink into /Library/Python/2.3, but a similar workaround wasn't
done for the Python include and bin directories (where the workaround
would also have been more difficult).

A workaround that is theoretically a bad idea (but in practice works:-)
is to make
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/include/
python2.3 writable to yourself.

Goldman