[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager idea, adding a URL scheme

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Wed Oct 1 16:04:12 EDT 2003

On 1 okt 2003, at 21:39, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Wednesday, Oct 1, 2003, at 15:33 America/New_York, Ronald Oussoren
> wrote:

>>> We need to standardize on a way to do this, obviously..  The string
>>> comparison thing is bad, and the scapegoat has to figure out how to
>>> find the version for each package (which isn't always possible,
>>> because not every package includes this metadata).
>>>
>>> There should be a standard sys.version_info way of getting package
>>> versions.
>>
>> Not necessarily. It would be nice if every package used the same
>> layout of the version string (maybe the scheme used by python
>> itself), but the Linux package manager seem to have an pretty
>> accurate heuristic for comparing versions. Borrowing that heuristic
>> would also work.
>
> Can you find a reference for this?  I'm not even sure which Linux
> package manager you're referring to.

I don't have a reference at hand, but I'm pretty sure RPM generally
"does the right thing" with version numbers. I haven't built linux
packages for years though, after I switched to Debian on my Linux
machine I haven't felt the need to built packages.

>> BTW. I just noted that PackMan (the GUI) doesn't have an 'uninstall'
>> option. That makes it harder to throw away packages that are not
>> really needed.
>
> You would either need to keep receipts, or the scapegoat would have to
> maintain an "uninstall program" for each package.  Receipts is
> probably the way to go here, and that would at least partially solve
> the version-number-string problem (because the scapegoat wouldn't
> necessarily have to maintain a version checker for each package, but
> that would be incompatible with packages that the user installed
> themselves unless distutils was modified to support receipts).

I don't see how receipts would help with the version-number problem,
other than making it easier to find a version number. Distutils also
creates a PKG-INFO file in the source-distribution, that's an easy
source for information about packages (to bad this isn't installed when
you install a package).

I don't think that adding receipts to PackMan would be usefull, unless
the end-goal is pushing that code into distutils/the python core.

Ronald