[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager idea, adding a URL scheme

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Oct 3 12:04:20 EDT 2003

Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> writes:

> pyCrypto's license is the following (and is not dependent on any other
> libraries):
> Distribute and use freely; there are no restrictions on further
> dissemination and usage except those imposed by the laws of your
> country of residence.  This software is provided "as is" without
> warranty of fitness for use or suitability for any purpose, express
> or implied. Use at your own risk or not at all.
>
> Incorporating the code into commercial products is permitted; you do
> not have to make source available or contribute your changes back
> (though that would be nice).
>
> That sounds Python compatible to me :)  I think this problem is
> solved. Crypto supports the following public key algorithms:
> Public-key algorithms: RSA, DSA, ElGamal, qNEW.
>
> ElGamal is what PGP uses, IIRC.
>
> What's the procedure to convince Guido that Python should REALLY have
> this module as part of any distribution that also includes PackMan?

There are ghastly legal issues that obstruct crypto support (there
have been threads on python-dev about this) and there's also a code
quality/ease of maintenence issue about pyCrypto itself (I have no
idea about it in this regard).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  And then the character-only displays went away (leading to
  increasingly silly graphical effects and finally to ads on